Latest Finds What's Hot
Expert Picks
Contact
The Antique Jewellery Company 0
Free Worldwide Delivery, Sizing & UK ReturnsBook an appointment
The Antique Jewellery Company

18ct Gold Connemara Marble & Onyx Chequerboard Cufflinks by West of Dublin

Sold

100G
ThumbnailThumbnailThumbnailThumbnailThumbnailThumbnailThumbnailThumbnail

West of Grafton Street Ltd. was a jewellery store last located on 33 Grafton Street in Dublin, Ireland. Founded in 1720, it was considered the oldest European jewellery store and one of the oldest companies in Ireland. Queen Victoria gave West the royal warrant as her watchmaker and once bought two replicas of the Tara Brooch from the company. West closed in 2010.

The British Royal Collection has two brooches that Prince Albert bought for Queen Victoria from West & Son on a visit to Dublin in 1849, presenting them in November and as a Christmas present that year, which were apparently already being made in editions. Victoria’s reaction was positive: “…such beautiful souvenirs, both made after those very curious old Irish ornaments we saw in the College in Dublin, one a silver shawl brooch, in smaller size than the original.”

These cufflinks were made in the 1980s and are set with Irish Connemara marble and onyx. They are lovely quality which is to be expected from a top jewellery store.

Written by Olly Gerrish
Date & OriginModern (1960s onwards), Irish
Measurements⅞ in / 2.2 cm by ⅞ in / 2.2 cm
ConditionExcellent
Hallmarks18ct
Maker's mark "West"
ProvenanceIrish