1. May is the month for Emeralds
According to the Gregorian calendar, if your birthday falls in May your birthstone is emerald:
“Who first beholds the light of day
In spring’s sweet, flower month of May
And wears an Emerald all her life
Shall be a loved and a loving wife.”
Emerald is the birthstone for Taurus (Bull in the Zodiac) which applies to those born between April 21 – May 20. Taurus also reacts to sapphire, garnet, agate and diamond. So an emerald and diamond ring would be the ultimate combination, bringing luck and loyalty to the wearer.
2. The emerald is associated with loyalty, fidelity and friendship
3. The Emerald green colour symbolises rebirth, nature and vitality
4. Traditional metaphysical properties for the emerald are memory, clairvoyance and faith
5. Emeralds are believed to have healing properties
Especially effective in treating eye, back, spine and headache conditions…
6. The emerald is part of the beryl family and is considered precious
(The other precious stones are diamonds, sapphires and rubies).
7. The emerald is the softest of the four precious gems
Measuring between 7.5 and 8 on the Moh’s scale of hardness. So we advise against wearing emeralds for everyday wear and tear.
8. Colombia is by far the world’s largest producer of emeralds
Constituting 50 – 95% of the world production. The other large producers are Brazil, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
9. Rarely will you encounter a flawless emerald
By nature, emeralds have natural inclusions; we would advise treating supposedly flawless emeralds with suspicion. Crooks heat treat and oil them to give a vibrant green and more polished appearance before selling them to unsuspecting clients as the best examples of their kind.
10. The emerald had its heyday during the Victorian era
11. Emeralds are so hot right now
Recently emeralds have been commanding high prices at auction and garnering increased interest thanks to powerful campaigns from market leaders, such as Gemfields.
Hopefully the rise in popularity of emeralds, and other coloured stones is not a transient trend. Your friends will go green with envy when they spot you wearing one of our unique antique emerald pieces.
Emerald: Twenty-one Centuries of Jewelled Opulence and Power
Jonathan Self, Joanna Hardy, Franca Sozzani & Hettie Judah
Thames and Hudson